Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bad Patient! Bad Hospital Stay!

I am going to rant and rave about my recent Hospital stay, Cuz it wasn't fun!


I know I am a bad patient, but I just don't care!


Hospital cartoon-Bad patient,Doctors consulting I was just released from the hospital a couple of days ago, and I am not a happy camper.
Last Wednesday was a good day.....it was to be the start of my vacation.
I left work, and on the ride home
...BAMMMM!

I got this crushing feeling in my chest.....
I kept driving, mostly because I was in denial, and I thought, "this can't be happening!" The pressure in my chest started to get worse, and I found myself weighing the options.......should I keep driving and get home? Should I pull over?
I started to feel a little light-headed...so instead of pulling over....I decided to back off (way off) the car in front of me and open the windows. (logic, huh?)
I knew this wasn't right, but I was mad, that this was happening when I was supposed to be starting vacation!
Needless to say, I made it home, but the pain had now wrapped around to my back. I knew this wasn't good, and knew I had to call 911.
I seriously contemplated driving myself, but my inner voice told me that "NO" I should call 911.
Well, then I started thinking about how I hadn't shaved my legs or pits, and I started stressing over that, and wondering if I had time...... Nope, I called 911.
They came really fast! Then there was the usual confusion....because the fire paramedics showed up first, then the police, then the ambulance. It was like a fairgrounds outside my house all lit up and flashing!
I think I gave my name a million times and my date of birth, it seemed everyone new needed to know the same info. (I guess they never thought of sharing).
After I had called 911, I had tried to call my daughter, and I got the message that her mailbox was full, and to try my call again later...huh? Not good. So I called her SO across the street, and he came running over just as the cavalry arrived.
I could hear my grandson yelling from across the street....awwww, he wanted to make sure I was okay, so he came over too. Anyway, I was loaded on a gurney and shoved (I mean shoved, not nicely) into the waiting ambulance. I gave a wave and blew a kiss to my grandson and the doors shut. A million more questions ensued, and then they started with the needles.......

I HATE NEEDLES!

They gave me aspirin and nitro and we were off.....
By the time we arrived at the hospital, the pain had pretty much subsided. There were a million more questions, I had to give my name and date of birth at least 3 times more (would they be lost if I was unconcious? They don't seem to know how to communicate), and many more tests, EKG,chest X-ray, etc. And, I did alot of waiting around. The pain was gone now, and I was just aggrivated at having to lay there. I wanted to go home and start my vacation. But nooooo........ I was told that I had to be admitted. They couldn't take the chance that I didn't have an "incident" and that something wouldn't happen at midnight or 3 am.

Now, I know I am a bad patient, always have been, always will be.....but I didn't want to be admitted! Especially when my pain was gone. My daughter came into the emergency room and agreed with the doctor (traitor!) that to be safe I should stay overnight.
I guess I had no choice, and thought okay, so I'll start my vacation tomorrow morning. Well, they brought me up to my room, and told me to get some rest.......................

Cartoon Nasty Nurse that won't let you restThe above cartoon "Exactly" describes what my night was like.
They were in constantly, all night long, taking my blood pressure/pulse, and drawing more blood for tests! They even felt they had to do an EKG at 3:30 am! WTF ??? Was that really necessary?
I think they sit downstairs and because they have to work the night shift, they think up evil ways to take it out on others.....like, ohhhhh that patient in room 231 is new, let's do weird shit to her all night long, hahaha!



Cartoon of Nurses practicing with needlesThis is what it felt like too....sometimes they found the vein....sometimes, no.
And do they not realize that snapping that tube on and off hurts? It moves the friggin' needle inside your vein! They just go about it like they were hammering nails.

So anyway, at 6:30 the next morning, the nurse comes in to give me my meds (they say I need an aspirin to thin my blood) and it isn't coated, so she says she will go get a coated one and be right back.....I don't see her again. I ask one of the blood pressure takers to check on the aspirin at 7:15 and she assures me she will. My real Doctor comes in to see me at 7:45 and he's all concerned and wants me to see a Cardiologist. I tell him I just want to go home. I'll make an appointment with the Cardiac guy, just discharge me.....he says "NO!"
He won't discharge me until I see the Cardiac guy. I'm kinda mad, but I will see the guy today and then be on my way.......a little heads up......the Cardiac guy never shows up!

I ask the next blood taker girl to check on my meds (I still haven't got them!) and off she goes. Okay, here is the defiant part..... I am fed up and angry that I have to be there, especially when I have no pain and haven't since the day before.....and have sat here reading a book and watching TV ( a flat screen which my grandson thinks is the coolest thing!) last night and today. I pulled one of the leads off my heart monitor thing about 11 am (I was told they monitor that at the nurses station) to see how long it would take them to notice and then maybe I could get my meds that they said I needed!
Lunchtime came and went with the Dietary girl upset that I didn't eat enough.....(try giving us edible food!) and I did more watching TV. At 3:30 (just after shift change) my new nurse Laurel came down to check on me because she said one of my leads was off.....I didn't tell her I did it on purpose......and she was nice. She got my meds! She also got me a cup of tea. I liked Laurel. I found out that between 6:30 and her shift there was another shift change in nursing, the 7:00 am nurse (who I never saw) and the one who originally came at 6:30!!

More tests, more needles, and no Cardiologist all day. I have to spend another night in the hospital? Yup! I feel like a friggin' prisoner!
My family comes to visit in the evening, and they think I should rest...take it easy....calm down.......
If they only knew what it was like. Why should I stay if I didn't have an "incident" and I don't have pain? It's for my own good I'm told.

I stay the night, but in the morning, I tell my Doctor that I am going to check out AMA (against medical advice) if the Cardiologist doesn't come in. There is no reason for me to be here missing my vacation! He is less than thrilled with me, and gives me a look.....but, I don't care, I'm a bad patient I know it, and he can give me the eyes and I just don't care!

So, the Cardiologist comes in about 11:30 am and tells me he "thinks" it might be angina, but he won't know without other tests. He also heard that I wanted to check out, and wants to know my reasoning....so I give it to him too! He said that if it wasn't the holiday weekend coming up, he would insist I stay, but if I agree to go to his office on Thursday for a stress test he would discharge me.....yipeee! I agree!
But he also says that everything I had planned for vacation, is a "NO-GO", meaning it's not going to happen. All the things I had planned, will have to wait until after my tests, no lifting things, no moving boxes, no gardening! I have to "REST" for the next few days until I see him. Boring...........
So now I am home, and have gotten back to my blog, which I really missed and we will see how things turn out on Thursday!

I have to say though, that I am scared and nervous that something is going to happen again.......


Cartoon of sick patient

I am now known as a "non-compliant" patient.......LOL


Technorati Tags:, , , , , , , , ,


9 comments:

Anonymous,  August 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM  

I had a similar thing happen to me, but I did leave without the Dr.'s okay.
p.s. He's not my doctor anymore!

papercages September 1, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

Wow! Very well told. :) I had to smile, I've been there (although it wasn't funny at the time). Hope all your tests come out fine. Keep us up-to-date.

Dottie,  September 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

I'm surprised that your insurance company even let them keep you. You make me not want to ever go to the hospital. LOL

KAT September 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

I'm surprised my insurance company let them keep me too...especially when I had no pain! And trust me, if I didn't have to go, I wouldn't have gone either! And I don't want to go back!

p.s. They still don't know what's wrong with me, I had to go for more tests and have an upcoming appointment with the stupid Cardiologist....so we'll see what he says?

Anonymous,  February 8, 2010 at 3:29 AM  

[url=http://tonoviergates.net/][img]http://sopriventontes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]office software update, [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]software/education[/url]
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]microsoft office educators discount[/url] buy photshop serial numbers for nero 9
buy pocket pc software [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]a software reseller[/url] you sell software
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]computer software downloads[/url] software used in canada
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]microsoft audio software[/url] inventory store software
software ottawa canada [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]microsoft website software[/url][/b]

Anonymous,  February 16, 2010 at 4:18 AM  

Earning on-line is not a tough task, at the same time it is not straightforward as well. There are many ways to earn cash on-line, you'll be able to create completely different business structures. You'll take affiliate selling, where you'll be able to select a product, software or a service and market it and in come you will get a commission out for selling. The great advantage of affiliate selling is, you don’t want to speak to people and sell the products, everything will be done online, at the same time, you would like some skills, to try to to it. You need to make channels for selling like websites, newsletters, landing page creation and PPC advertisements.

You can additionally produce a VRE, (Virtual Real Estate) where in you create websites, develop and monetize it using various means that like CPM or CPC ads, making and selling your own product. You can develop niche sites and setup ecommerce stores.

There are other methods in addition, except for beginners, and those that are new to on-line business the best means to create the same revenue stream is thru actions like filling up surveys, get paid to try and do easy actions like signing up with new sites and obtaining paid to scan emails. The extent two for beginners is mystery shopping and related income streams. You'll get all the free resources to form a career at [url=http://earn-online-money.com/tools-and-techniques/home-business-blueprint-1-0-earn-online-moneys-free-new-launch/]Earn-Online-Money.Com[/url]

Anonymous,  February 16, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

Earning on-line isn't a tough task, at the same time it is not easy as well. There are many ways to earn money online, you'll produce totally different business structures. You'll take affiliate selling, where you can choose a product, software or a service and persuade you to buy and in come back you may get a commission out for selling. The great advantage of affiliate promoting is, you don’t would like to talk to individuals and sell the products, everything will be done on-line, at the same time, you need some skills, to do it. You need to make channels for marketing like websites, newsletters, landing page creation and PPC advertisements.

You'll additionally create a VRE, (Virtual Real Estate) where in you create websites, develop and monetize it using numerous means that like CPM or CPC ads, making and selling your own product. You'll develop niche sites and setup ecommerce stores.

There are other ways yet, except for beginners, and those that are new to online business the best way to create an even revenue stream is thru actions like filling up surveys, get paid to try and do easy actions like signing up with new sites and getting paid to read emails. The level 2 for beginners is mystery searching and connected income streams. You'll be able to get all the free resources to make a career at [url=http://earn-online-money.com/tools-and-techniques/home-business-blueprint-1-0-earn-online-moneys-free-new-launch/]Earn-Online-Money.Com[/url]

Anonymous,  February 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM  

Fantastic blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress
or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that
I'm totally confused .. Any suggestions? Appreciate it!
Also visit my web-site :: online directory

Anonymous,  May 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM  

Excellent goods from you, man. I've take into accout your stuff prior to and you're just too wonderful.

I actually like what you've obtained here, certainly like what you're
saying and the best way in which you are saying it.
You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.
I can not wait to learn much more from you. That is really a wonderful site.


Feel free to visit my homepage; exercises to improve vertical jump

About This Blog

Click here to get 1,000 free visitors to your site.

The Angels Weekly

Free Traffic Is GOOD! And it's Easy!! Click Here!

Free advertising

Labels


SEO Stuff

Powered by  MyPagerank.NetYahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

My BlogCatalog BlogRank

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP