Saturday, October 4, 2008

I'm Crafty and I'm trying Chainmail ~


This is my first attempt at making a chainmail bracelet.


I saw some lovely pictures in a book, and thought.....Hey, I can try that!Chainmail
Now, I have to tell you, I have no training in this, or as a matter of fact, in any crafts that I do, I am completely self taught at most of my craft endeavors. So, here we go with another one I am going to give a try!

I loved the look of the chainmail jewelry and thought how nice it must look when being worn, and how wonderful it would be if I could have my very own piece. Whenever I have seen something like this in a shop or at a craft show, they want a really humongous amount of money for them, so naturally, I thought, maybe I can make my own for a lot cheaper? So far, so good. But, I am not using pure silver either, I am using silver plate. That makes a HUGE difference!

Notice that really expensive tool that I am using as I weave the rings together? You need to keep the rings separated so you can see where the next weaving goes, and I came up with this idea......a pencil~!
Hey, it works...and it didn't cost me anything, and the rings stay apart and circular, so I am happy. I put scotch tape at the top of the pencil, so the rings don't slide off as I'm weaving. It's all about improvising.....and I do a lot of it!! LOL

What I am making here is a bracelet, and I LOVE it so far! I have taken it off the pencil and it is so supple, it just colapses into your palm!
It is almost like a woven slinky, and I can just imagine how this
Chainmail Closeup
is going to feel on my wrist! I am so excited!

I only have about 3 inches done so far, but then, I haven't been working on it regularly. I do a few rows when I can. I am hoping to finish it soon, and then I will post the pictures for you all to see what the finished product looks like.

This is a close up picture of the links, and you can sort of see how the links get woven together to create the chainmail effect.

If this comes out as good as I think it will, I might have to try another one!! It is time consuming, and bending all those links isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

I've made a few mistakes so far, but you can see when you make a mistake, so you go back and take it apart and re-do it. I would have a lot more done if I didn't have to go back and correct mistakes....but I want it to be perfect!

I can't wait to show you the finished bracelet!

Do you have any chainmail experience, and would you like to share it? I'd love to hear it~!



Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Designing Hilary October 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM  

Uh oh ... chainmaille bug bite! It's really itchy. :o)

Enjoy! Some of my designs are chainmaille, but I don't charge too terribly humongous prices.

Vixen October 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

I have never seen anything like it, but it is so cool looking. How innovative of you to create that fancy tool!

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Marlaine October 7, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Very interesting...and I'm sure, labour intensive! Kudos to you for taking it on!

Jean9 October 7, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

I have made one project in chainmaille so far. I did enjoy it and would like to make more in the near future, but I am also trying to learn bead embroidery. Your bracelet is going to be so very nice.

KAT October 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM  

Thank you all for your comments! I can't wait until it's done!

Ragtree October 7, 2008 at 8:25 PM  

It is beautiful! I've never tried making jewelry of any type because it looks like it would require so much patience! I can't wait to see it finished :)

Renee

Kerry October 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM  

There's a British TV series called The Worst Jobs in History and one episode is about the poor people who made chainmail for the knights. If you can get it you would probably really enjoy it

About This Blog

Click here to get 1,000 free visitors to your site.

The Angels Weekly

Free Traffic Is GOOD! And it's Easy!! Click Here!

Free advertising

Labels


SEO Stuff

Powered by  MyPagerank.NetYahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

My BlogCatalog BlogRank

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP