Monday, April 6, 2009

Entrecard is BAD!


Now I don't want to upset the masses, but I am upset right now, and I have to vent....


Entrecard Stinks
I know it's probably my own fault, so I don't need to hear "I told you so" or any of the other words of wisdom that some might want to impart.

But recently I have noticed that an ad that I "thought" I didn't approve was showing on my blog....the one with the man cooking or something, and the little girl waving her finger at him...you know the one?? Well, it turns out that I never did approve it, and it ran anyway!!!
Sneaky Entrecard doesn't set your default to not have paid ads on your site? Hmmmmm, why not??? Because that way they can have ads run and hopefully you will be dense like me and think you must have approved it!!!!

So today, is what really got me angry...I went over to my other site, The Angels Weekly, and my ad for Candles, Crafts and Whatnot was supposed to be running, and it wasn't!! I went into the Angels Dashboard, and it shows that my ad is running, but when I go to the site, it is not!!! A paid ad is in it's place!! And when I refresh the page....another paid ad shows up....and another.....and so on!

So now I go look to see why...and I'm all kinds of mad, and I'm ready to give Entrecard a piece of my mind....but guess what??? They have it posted if you look for it, and here is what it says:

"How often do paid ads run?"
"If there are no paid ads ready to run on your blog, they won't run at all. If
there are, and there are also Entrecard ads, the paid ads will run a maximum of
50% of the time. If there are no Entrecard ads but there are paid ads, only the
paid ads will be displayed."

WTF!?!?

Anyway, the 50% thing is untrue, and I proved it by refreshing and seeing numerous paid ads and my Candles, Crafts and Whatnot card only came up once!!
Go ahead, try it....refresh and see if you don't get other ads showing up? That is as long as you didn't know (like I didn't) about turning them off?

So, while researching, I found this too: Three types of ad may run on your blog:

Entrecard ads
These are ads by other Entrecard users. They always point to a blog and
are purchased using credits.
Paid ads
These are ads by third-party advertisers on Entrecard. They may point to
a blog, or to a product or other site.
House ads
These are ads run by Entrecard, for Entrecard services only. These only
run when there are no other ads available for your blog.

Entrecard provides the options on this page because we believe your blog is your
own, and you should have control over what is shown there. However, we ask that where possible you keep any limitations as minimal as possible - Entrecard ads are the essence of the network, and paid ads help support the service and
contribute to the CashOut fund. These are vital to the continued growth and
success of Entrecard and its ability to help you and your blog grow.
(this is what they tell you....what they don't tell you is: you can turn off the advertising. On the dashboard, click on Advert Settings, then click the following: Allow paid ads only if explicitly approved by you.) AHHHH HAAAAA, so that is where I made my mistake!!! I didn't know I HAD to turn off the ads that I didn't approve!!!! Ohhhhh now it makes sense!!! NOT~~~~~~~

Also, I have to admit that I have approved some paid ads, because some of the paid ads are from my friends, whose blogs I visit. And some of the paid ads didn't look like paid ads.

BUT>>>>> What I don't like and what I am really, really peeved about, is that for the people who don't have paid ads, and have used their hard earned credits to advertise on my blogs, they are not getting the full time allotted!! And neither am I on the blogs that I have advertised on!!! How can we compete with paid ads that Entrecard puts up whenever they want?? And why should we???

I will admit, I have gained traffic from Entrecard, and I have made quite a lot of friends through Entrecard, but why should we advertise on each others blogs, when we worked hard to earn those credits, and selected where we wanted our cards to be shown....only to have Entrecard ruin it???

Oh, and by the way, we don't get anything for the paid ads running on our sites.... we don't even get credits....Entrecard gets it all. And because the person who doesn't have a paid ad, only has their card run for a short period of time, we don't get the full credit for that either!! We only get a portion for the time it was shown!!! Again, I have to say......WTF?!?!?

Here is what Entrecard has to say about that:

Am I getting credits or something for accepting these paid ads?

No. We are expecting everyone to do their best to help support Entrecard within
their own capabilities. We have decided to leave how you do that up to you, at
least initially. We hope that many of you will choose to support Entrecard and
the users by supporting this feature, and allowing us to earn money both to pay
for hosting and to fund the upcoming CashOut feature.

So, on that happy note....I hope you are more informed now....and not naive as I was, and can fix things before they get out of hand....I only wish I knew this before!!!
Till Next Time,
Take Care,


p.s. I am able to log in again...

15 comments:

☆Willa☆ April 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

i feel for you, if not only i have 9 badge waiting in line, I am more than willing to ditch EC!

PinkLady April 7, 2009 at 2:35 AM  

KAT, this was very enlightening. i don't normally reject adverts and didn't even realize that what i was approving were paid ads. approving blindly, that is.

i never rejected any ad before because i have always been grateful to EC and its members for my traffic. but yesterday, i paid more attention because it seemed like i had an unusually VERRRRRY long list of adverts and that's when i realized they were paid ads.

none of these ads, except for one or two, are familiar to me. and yes that kid and chef ad is one of them. there is even a money blog badge that has women showing off their cleavage and green bucks!

since i have already approved them, i guess all i can do now is to change my settings and be more careful next time.

again, thanks a lot for this enlightening post.

Bing

Duni April 7, 2009 at 5:58 AM  

Exactly, Kat!
That's why my regular Lovely Purses ads get 0 clicks.
Hey, I declined the same ad too, but at least it didn't show up on my widget. Oh, if you decline ads, you move down the campaign ladder. Did you know?

Abby April 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Thanks so much for putting up this blog, Kat! You've opened up my eyes!! I'm not a regular dropper, but when I do drop, I like to spend my credits to advertise just like everyone else. I've been cautious ever since the new implementations over at Entrecard, and now I'm beginning to think I might just leave. It's a lot of work for me, and now, I'm obviously not getting the benefits I signed up for. I'm all for giving a company the benefit of the doubt when they change something, but when it's not working for me, I'm out.

Again, thanks for the information. It's been enlightening!

Abby

Contrariwise April 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

I was also very upset when I found this out.

But did you know that you can stop the Paid Ads from appearing on your blog? Go to
Dashboard
Your Account / Advert Settings
Then check the option: "Allow paid ads only if explicitly approved by you"

I do not allow Paid Ads on my widget. Only Entrecard exchange ads

Miriam April 7, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

Hey Kat. I share your pain. I posted about the page refreshing to see how often an EC credit ad came up vs a paid ad.. Funny, I was ignored on that one.

Now they're talking about a 75% payout. It's in their blog and, of course, that doesn't make sense either. I love the way they talk about it being a "virtual economy" yet they take in real money... they must think we're all stupid.

I'm hanging in for now, but if things don't improve, I might have to pack my bags and go.

Miriam

Babs (Beetle) April 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

I think you are echoing most people's thoughts here.

I wasted lots of my valuable time the first day, having to visit these sites, in order to approve or refuse them! I won't now. I checked "Allow paid ads only if explicitly approved by you" and haven't had any paid ads waiting for approval since. I have no idea why.

I am waiting to see how it pans out but I'm definitely not happy about any of this.

Kristin at My Art and the Mom in Me April 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

You know, Kat...I have been happily, naively, ignorantly going about my entrecard life with no real knowledge about what is going on with it..I had no idea that they booted off entrecard credit paying ads..and that does not sit well with me.. And now I am off to change my settings!

jenn April 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

Okay, first off, I am not taking entrecards side, but I will say that all these changes have not effected how many cards are dropping on my site. I still average between 350-400. It may take me a little longer to drop my 300 cards, but that doesn't bother me too much. I totally understand about wanting what you pay for with your credits, so that part does bother me, but not enough to call it quits.

Them booting you off, though, is not cool. We should all be allowed to voice our opinions.

angelzmag April 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Okay, so they let me back in, but it's late now, and I will have to drop tomorrow....hey, maybe it was you Jenn that helped???

I haven't changed anything, like username or password....so...???

And although I agree with Jenn that the card dropping has not been affected, it irritates me that we advertise on blogs and are not getting the full time we used our credits for??

Just for example, refresh my page a few times and you will see what I mean about the card changing, and it is paid ads. For example, today should be "Soulful Scribbles" and tomorrow should be "Babs Beetle",
But right now I see a paid ad in my card slot, and when I refresh, another paid ad comes up!
Jenn, you have an ad with me supposedly to run 4/15....let's see if the paid ads run out by then and you get your full time, now that I have turned off paid ads, unless I approve them.

And I had about 10 non-paying (credit using) ads in line before I approved any paid ads, so they should wait their turn like we have to?? See my point?? The non paying ads have to.

It just irritates me!!! Arggghhhh

KAT April 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

sorry....I was logged into Angels when I wrote the above.....

Whooops....so silly of me!!! :)

Kat

PinkLady April 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

just to update you, i canceled the adverts of the kid pointing a finger at a chef and the money making blog with cleavage-showing women. if i see them in my blog, i would really be upset. i also changed my ad settings to allow only those paid ads that i explicitly approved.

The Fitness Diva April 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

First of all, I love your rant!
I'd hate to see you REALLY pissed! ;)

Secondly, I'm glad I stopped by (from Random Thoughts), because I learned something. I am now going to go and check my Adverts settings.
I have no idea why any particular ad is running on my blog at any time. I reject some, and they pop right back up like weeds.
I will now at least be able to have a handle on it.

BTW, GREAT image of the Entrecard stats with the green 'X' through it! I guess being pissed can make you even more creative! :)

Hope this mess all works out soon!

One Creative Queen April 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

Hey Kat - I know how you feel. I'm working on a post right now that will go up overnight tonight - and I've made my own EC "sign", available for anyone who would like to copy it and use it.

If you have a chance (and remember), please stop by my blog tomorrow and read the post. I'm going to add some of the information you've posted to it. This wohle thing just irritates the snot out of me.

But hey - Happy Easter! xx

About This Blog

Click here to get 1,000 free visitors to your site.

The Angels Weekly

Free Traffic Is GOOD! And it's Easy!! Click Here!

Free advertising

Labels


SEO Stuff

Powered by  MyPagerank.NetYahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

My BlogCatalog BlogRank

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP