Monday, May 18, 2009

My Neighbor thinks I have Termites!

See, I have this old ramp that I had built for my dog Ebony. She was a Black Lab and gorgeous, but as labs are know to do, she had hip problems, mostly dysplasia and sometimes had a hard time walking.

So I had built her a ramp from the back door steps, so that she could still go out in the back yard, and wouldn't have to jump up and down the steps.

Well, Ebony has been gone for a couple of years, and the ramp has been looking rougher and rougher, by that I mean that it looks like the wood is splintering apart. When I had a good look at it this weekend, I thought I saw bugs on and in it, so, I asked my neighbor to come see what he thought, and he said he thinks I might have termites?? Yuk!!

I immediately went online in search of what I could do and found this wonderful site called Kill the Termites. They have so much information on this site it is just amazing! I found pictures of the nasty creatures:
subterranean termites image photo picture
And I even found some ideas that I am going to try after calling in the termite inspectors.
They have something called Termite Baits that they place in the ground. It is a plastic cylinder that has holes in it, with treated wood inside and it is meant to kill off the colonies of termites when the bring the treated wood back to the colony. The only thing is, it can take a long time to work, and also requires frequent inspections.

So, I think I am going to go with a liquid treatment, where they spray a liquid pesticide in the cracks in your house where termites can enter, and they spray around the base of the house, and this acts as a barrier to any termites that try to cross. They will also put some of the liquid stuff into the ground around your house, and that also kills the termites and lasts for years. Also, the liquid is faster and cheaper than the baits. The liquid will kill the termites immediately.

So, I guess tomorrow I am going to be calling an exterminator company to come and have a look at my ramp and see if those pesky termites have managed to move into the wood on my house??

Wish me luck!
Till Next Time,

2 comments:

Margo May 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

we had termites about 10 years ago. I didn't know what the heck they were. We have had an inground baiting system ever since and it's been great to know what's going on
down there...pesky little creatures :) Good luck!

KAT May 19, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I DO have the pesky little things!! Dammit!!

I am not going to go with the inground baits though, they were a little out of me league, price wise.

So I am going for the Liquid spray that kills them and puts up a barrier, so no more can get in!!

What a mess!! :(

About This Blog

Click here to get 1,000 free visitors to your site.

The Angels Weekly

Free Traffic Is GOOD! And it's Easy!! Click Here!

Free advertising

Labels


SEO Stuff

Powered by  MyPagerank.NetYahoo bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

Msn bot last visit powered by MyPagerank.Net

My BlogCatalog BlogRank

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP